Translate

Thursday 18 July 2013

A Unique Relationship

There is a young man in my life who is very special to me.  Yesterday reminded me that the feeling is mutual.

We met about 7 years ago.  He was on staff at the resort I frequently go to, my paradise.  He is very young, much younger than me, but flirted with me constantly, telling me I needed a Dominican boyfriend.  He knew I was married.  That doesn't seem to matter much there, though.

I told him no, but he kept flirting.  Even once things opened up with my husband, we kept going back and forth on whether or not something would happen between us.  At one point or another, we had each worried that adding a physical aspect to our friendship would damage the friendship.  Let's face it, adding sex into the mix changes the dynamic.  Those times never happened simultaneously, though, so it took several years before anything actually did happen.

We only got together once, and his work schedule is so crazy that it's amazing it happened at all.  It was pretty quick, as it took place during a break in his workday (he snuck up to my room), but it was still good.  And the best part is that it didn't affect the base of our friendship, or the deep affection we have for each other, like we had worried it might.  I do think we're better as friends than lovers, to be honest, though, especially now that I know he is in a serious relationship.  Which brings me to yesterday...

We are linked up on one of the messaging apps, since just very recently, and can now stay in touch much more easily. I was always very aware of the cost to him when he would message me the normal way.  But now, that's not an issue.

Anyway, out of the blue, I get a message from him telling me that he's a daddy to a new baby boy, born just 2 hours prior.  Even sent me a picture - and he's a real little sweetie.  Since my friend's dad passed away fairly recently, this will bring a real light to his life.

It warms my heart that the affection is so obviously there on both sides, that he would share both the happy and sad news of his life with me, so far away, knowing without question or doubt that I would share both his joy and his sorrow through our friendship.  That is why I say that this has turned out to be a very mature, and special, relationship.  We may never wind up being together again sexually, but we have enough affection, and respect, for each other to make this a unique relationship that works for us.  It is one that will last for many years, I believe.

Being true friends with a former lover ... A very mature, and special, relationship.  In my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment