Translate

Monday 8 July 2013

Colour... Does it really matter?

I know this entry will probably cause some differences of opinion, and that's ok.  Please know that I am simply expressing my own opinion, how I think and feel.  You certainly do have the right to your own opinion.  That is the joy of living in a free country, as I am blessed to do, thanks to my grandfather, uncles and all the others who fought for our right to express ourselves freely.

Does colour matter?  To me, honestly, not at all.  I may be a white woman, married to a white man, and involved in a physical relationship with a black man (with my husband's full blessing), but colour really doesn't matter to me.

I was raised to believe that no one is superior or inferior to anyone, that we are all equal, regardless of race or religion.  I judge a person based on who they are on the inside, not based on skin colour or religion, or any other physical attribute, for that matter.  I have friends of all colours, religions, shapes, sizes and sexual preferences.

Am I attracted to black men?  Yes.  Am I likewise attracted to white men?  Yes.  My attraction to a man is based on the man himself, how he makes me feel.  Black men do tend to have a very attractive confidence about them.  Some may call it swagger.  I know my Latino friends have that as well.  But that isn't the only factor, not by any means.  It's all part of the exquisitely complex formula that makes up sexual attraction.  And the fun, yet also frustrating, thing is that it's totally different for each of us.

I am a member of interracial sites not because I am "black only", as some women are. Rather, I'm a member because I fully support the right of every man and woman to choose a partner, for whatever type of relationship they may want, based on their own formula of attraction, and independent of skin colour.  We are all made of skin, bone, muscle and blood, no matter what colour we are.  We all have hopes, dreams, aspirations, fears, successes, failures.  For crying out loud, people, it's 2013, not the 1950s.  Can't we all just get along?  Live and let live?

Cheers,

MB

No comments:

Post a Comment